Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fantasy rewrite


Ginger
Clearheaded
Absurd
Businesslike


Fox
Aggressive conversationalist
Social outcast
Optimistic



Once, long, long ago, a woman and a man seeking the perfect child baked a gingerbread man. Clearly, this was a reasonable plan, for they were both very confused, and often ignored their actual children. 

But when the cookie was ready and the woman opened the oven, the little man leapt from the sheet and sprinted away.

Old woman: Stop!

Ginger: What is it?

Old Woman: you can’t go outside, you’re naked! I must dress you.

The old woman gestures to a collection of mints and gummy candies, as well as a tube of frosting.  Another panel is dedicated to ginger considering. Then, in a  separate panel:

Ginger: Yes, you’re right! How silly of me.

Ginger returns to the table, and waits patiently for the woman to dress him. In candy.

Ginger: Thank you for your helpfulness, madam. I must be on my way, now.

Ginger hops off the table and races out the door. The old woman and her husband run to the door, exchange a look, and set off in pursuit.





The fox, now up to her ears in water, is paddling furiously, Ginger standing tip toe on her nose. The shore is in the distance, a bit below eye level.

Ginger: There it is! The shore! Faster,  Faster!

Fox: Oh, yes, right away, I am quite tired, but you have to promise me we’re in this together, now, right?

Ginger: Excuse me?

Fox: I thought we really bonded, you know, this running from the man, and all.

Ginger: You mean an old couple with surprising agility. And “Bonded”? We’ve only just met.

The fox is panting and paddling still, but she looks frustrated.

Fox: Yes, but you listen to me! I’m sick of people not listening! Not speaking animal is no excuse anyway! This whole time you haven’t complained at all about my blathering, and most people ignore me. Therefore, I’ve declared us friends.

Ginger (speaking over fox, who continues to ramble): That could have something to do with the fact that you’re serving as my watercraft, and it’s in poor taste to talk down to one’s means of transport. 

They reach the shore, fox still rambling, having forgotten she was frustrated at all.

Ginger: Oh, we’ve made it! A partnership it is, you fine beast! Now, Let us ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment